Hotel/Resort Internship FAQs
(for our cultural Program FAQs, please click here)

Before your Trip

How does Japan Internships get paid?

Do I need to pay a Registration Fee to apply?

How much will an Internship program cost me?

What questions will I be asked during the Telephone Interview?

What is the minimum Japanese level required?

How much will I earn (after the tax/accommodation/meals have been deducted)?

Can I choose which Hotel / Resort I’ll be working at?

Can I get a placement together with my friend?

Are Couples able to stay in the same room?

What certification do I need to be a Ski Instructor?

When should I apply for my Working Holiday visa?

How do I apply for my Working Holiday visa?

Will I really need USD4000 for the VISA application?

How long does it take to process a Working Holiday Visa?

When should I buy my Flight?

Can I travel around before or after my contract?

What should I prepare for the trip?

(Winter Interns only): Should I buy, or rent Ski Gear?

Is there any absolutely essential Gear I will need?

Will I need insurance?

During your Internship

How will I get to the Resort?

How will I be paid?

How much Tax will I be paying?

Will I get an ATM card?

Will I need to wear a Uniform?

Will my supervisors at the hotel/resort be able to speak English?

What’s the best way to improve my Japanese while in Japan?

What exactly is an internship? Is it like a hospitality course?

Can I take trips on Weekends?

Will I need to work overtime?

I am a vegetarian or diabetic or gluten or lactose intolerant?

Can I prepare my own meals?

What if I cannot complete my contract?

What if I have an accident?

After you Finish

What happens after I complete the program?

I want to get full-time work in the Japanese hospitality industry in future. Is it possible to create a career through this Internship in Japan?

What is the process to change my address while in Japan?

How long is a Japanese Working Holiday Visa valid?

Can I get a 2nd Japanese Working Holiday Visa?

Can Japan Internships or the Resort sponsor me for a Work Visa?


Before your Trip

The resorts pay us a fee to source interns. As we get paid by resorts, we don’t receive any portion of your wages or take any money from you other than the initial transportation/orientation fee of 10,000yen (which includes transportation to your resort from the city, as well as back to the city at the end of your contract).

No – as long as you complete your contract, you don’t pay any fees.

A Processing Fee of 50,000 yen is usually charged for Internships in Japan, but to help minimize the financial burden on you, this Fee is typically collected at the end of your contract. However, in appreciation for doing a good job, this fee is completely waived for all staff who complete their contracts.

In short, you don’t pay anything if you complete your contract.

We do not charge any placement fees for our Paid Hotel/Resort Internships.

1. You have to pay for:
a) your own Airfare (approx. $1000-$1500),
b) Travel Insurance (approx. $300), and
c) Transportation fee to your Hotel (covered by a 10,000yen fee, which includes Orientation on the way to your hotel).

2. The cost of meals and accommodation will be deducted from your paycheck each month during your Internship (details).

Beginner-level Japanese speakers may also be required to participate in our Japanese Language Course, which they will have to pay for too (8 Online Group Lessons, USD$79)

There’s no reason to be nervous in the Interview; it’s just a relaxed, casual chat, to get an idea of whether you’re suited to an Internship in Japan or not. Your interviewer will ask you a couple of quick questions about yourself and your interest in Japan, and then a couple of simple questions in Japanese, to get an idea of your Japanese level. Depending on how long you’ve been studying Japanese, your Interviewer will tailor the questions to suit your level.

When you’re being considered for a Resort internship, having a friendly nature and positive attitude is much more valuable than your Japanese skill. If you’re enthusiastic and open-minded, we’re sure you’ll make a great impression in the interview.

There is no specific minimum level. If you have studied at all, you probably have a good chance of getting a job through us (because we have positions for almost all levels). Having a genuine desire to learn, is much more important then your current Japanese-speaking ability.

For Ski jobs: Approx. 130,000yen, minus 20% tax (26,000yen), food (15,000yen), and dormitory (15,000yen) = 74,000yen in your pocket per month (including a free ski pass).

For Beach jobs: Approx. 120,000yen, minus 20% tax (24,000yen), food (5,000yen), and dormitory (30,000yen) = 61,000yen in your pocket per month.

Yes, you can request where you would like to work, or what position, but we can’t guarantee you will be successful in securing a position there (it depends on your availability, Japanese ability, experience etc). But we will always do our best to accommodate your preferences.

Yes. You can mention the name of any friends who will also be applying, when you fill out our Online Application Form. While we can’t guarantee anything, we always do our best to place friends together at the same Hotel (it depends on your availability, Japanese ability etc… we’ll discuss your specific likelihood with you during your interview).

Sorry, but all Resort dorms are single-sex, so you won’t be able to stay in the same room together. The only other option would be for you to rent a separate apartment for yourselves nearby (costs approx. 50,000 yen per month), though these can be difficult to find.

In the past, most couples have just accepted that they won’t be able to spend much private time together for the few months they are working at a Resort. You’ll likely have different days-off, there won’t be any private area for you to hang out, so meeting each-other means going out and spending money…

It’s important you are prepared for this, and go with the right mindset: wanting an experience where you meet lots of new people, not one where you’re together 24/7.

Please think seriously about whether this will be a problem for you, before you apply. Thank you for your understanding.

Any type of qualification (from any country) is ok (in fact many resorts don’t even require a qualification).

You should only apply for your Visa AFTER you have Received a Tentative Offer, Accepted it, AND been Approved by your Hotel/Resort.

Find a full description in our “Ultimate Working Holiday Guide“.

The actual amount depends on your country, but at the time you apply for your Working Holiday Visa you must show that you have a few thousand dollars available in your bank account. The Visa office needs to know you have sufficient funds to pay for your airfare, and support yourself while living in Japan. You’ll need to submit a bank statement as proof.

As many of you are students, we know this kind of money can be hard to raise. Before their Visa application, many applicants receive gifts from their parents, of a few thousand dollars. This is fine, as long as you show the Visa office an accompanying letter from your parents, explaining they have given you the money for your stay in Japan.

It varies depending on your Nationality, but the Visa can take up to 3+ weeks to process. It’s really important to provide all the necessary documentation; Japanese are very particular about this, and could result in delays.

In general, you should wait until AFTER your Visa is Approved, before buying your Flight (just in the unlikely case your Visa is declined).

That said, some consulates require proof of flights when you Apply for your Visa. One way to show proof of flights without actually paying for them is to visit a travel agent and get flights held, along with a quote/itinerary. That will satisfy the embassy, and once you have the visa you can either go ahead and pay for those flights, or cancel them and get other flights instead.

Of course! As long as you can be at the designated meeting point when everyone else arrives, you’re welcome to travel wherever you like. After your contract, we recommend you travel on (with your new friends) too!

Until you receive a Tentative Offer, and then get approved by your Resort, you don’t need to do anything. We’ll send you all the steps to prepare (ie. get your Visa, Flight, Travel Insurance, Pack your Bags…), one by one after your position is approved. If you really want to plan ahead, you can read our “Ultimate Working Holiday Guide“, and all the information on this FAQ page.

We recommend you rent ski gear, as it’s convenient, and if you’re lucky, you’ll get a good staff discount from your resort! Buying and bringing your own board/skis over on the plane can be expensive if you exceed baggage allowances, and can be troublesome to carry around. In addition, there’s no way to send objects larger than 150cms from Japan back home, so if you do decide to bring your own gear, make sure you don’t go over the airline baggage allowance limit, as you’ll have to bring them back with you on the plane.

NOTE: Japan’s largest boot size is about 28cms – so if you have bigger feet than that, you should buy your own ski/snowboard boots, and bring them with you to Japan.

If you decide to buy gear in Japan, expect to pay (for average-quality new gear): Board/binding/boots or ski/boots/poles sets = 30~40,000yen. Jacket / Pants = 20,000yen for a set. Gloves / Goggles = up to 10,000yen each.

Unfortunately, each year a few staff are injured as a result of a snowboarding or skiing accident, and are forced to give up their Ski jobs. The most common injuries are to the head and wrists. Fortunately, these injuries can be easily prevented by two simple items of safety gear: a Helmet and Wrist Guards. Don’t be cheap about safety!

Yes. You will need to purchase Travel Insurance (including coverage for snow sports (Ski apps only) for the entire length of your Resort contract. This will cover you for accidents outside of work (you will already be covered by work insurance during work hours).

In addition to travel insurance, due to a recent change in government policy, all foreigners are now also required to enter the Japanese National Healthcare System. Thankfully, this is only a minimal expense of approx. 2000yen (USD$20) per month.

Finally, a few select ski resorts require staff to enter their own additional Ski/Snowboard Insurance scheme aswell (approx. 3000yen per season).


During your Internship

Once you arrive in Japan, you’ll be met at the designated meeting spot (to be announced after you receive a tentative offer), and delivered to your Resort.

On the way, you’ll be given an Orientation about what to expect from the experience, receive your official job offer, sign your contract, and go through important points to remember about your stay. This is covered by a ¥10,000 (USD$100) transportation fee, which will be collected while you are on the bus. After you arrive at your Resort, your experience begins!

After your Contract, free bus transportation will also be provided back to the city you were picked up from. If you want to travel on to any other destination, you’ll have to cover the expense yourself.

Once you arrive, you’ll be shown how to open a Japanese Bank Account, into which your salary will be paid monthly. Banks are located near the resorts, so withdrawing money won’t be a problem. Some resorts pay cash, so you won’t even need a bank account.

According to Japanese law, all foreigners on Working Holiday Visas must pay 20% income tax. All figures quoted on this site are before income tax.

You can only file a Japanese tax return, to try to get some of your tax back, if you stay in Japan for more than 12 months. Otherwise, you can’t. In addition, filing a tax return is a complicated process – Taxback offer a useful service if you need.

Yes. When you open a bank account in Japan, you will be given an ATM card which allows you to access your money via ATMs around Japan (though those cards will probably not work internationally).

Uniforms will be organised for all staff. You may be required to bring your own shoes, stockings, skirt/pants or white shirt. We’ll send uniform details to successful staff before departure to Japan.

It ‘s possible that some of your bosses may speak basic English, but don’t count on it. In the beginning, nobody is going to expect Japanese fluency from you, but after a few months they will expect some big improvements. English-speaking staff will be contactable 24/7 if you need anything at all.

It is quite easy to study Japanese while you’re there because you are constantly exposed to the language. The quickest way to fluency is to make friends with the locals (who will be very keen to make friends with you too, as foreigners are still quite rare in Japan).

It’s also important to have a few good books. We recommend “A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar” and “A Dictionary of Intermediate Japanese Grammar”. These are the best reference books out there, and are essential for serious students. You should also bring an Electronic Dictionary, and carry it with you all the time. A few hours of Japanese study 4 or 5 times a week will lead to practical fluency in a few months time.

Note: Another common misconception is that you’ll do ALL of your language learning at work; that solely your job will be responsible for your improvement in Japanese. While you’ll be using and learning many new phrases and vocabulary at work, it’s outside of work with your co-workers when you can really put your Japanese to the test! After all, you can’t talk about the daily gossip in front of hotel/resort guests!

An internship is practical work experience. It doesn’t mean that someone will always be beside you instructing you in what to do. When there is something you are unsure of you will have to ask your Japanese co-workers. Also, English-speaking staff will be contactable 24/7 if you need anything at all.

You may wish to travel to the big cities on the weekends. However, they’re the busiest time for resorts, so your days-off will always fall on weekdays. In addition, you may not always have two consecutive days-off at a time, so it’s best to explore Japan at your own leisure before or after your Internship.

Yes. During the busy holiday periods (Ski: Xmas/New Year’s Break + mid-February, Beach: Jul-Aug Summer Vacation), your resort will ask you to work overtime, as they tend to be understaffed around this time.

During these periods, please accept you may not have much free time (in some cases, staff have to work up to 50-60hrs a week!). After the busy periods though, things quiet down a lot, and you’ll have about 6-7 days-off a month, working a standard 40-48hr week. NOTE: Work hours depend on snow conditions; eg. if there’s no snow, you’ll be working less (because the resort won’t be as busy).

Try to look at the busy periods on the positive side – it’s a fantastic opportunity to: a) Learn Japanese, b) Make new friends at work, and c) After the busy periods end, you’ll have a sizeable paycheck, so you can go out and live it up a little!

Unfortunately, Resorts cannot cater to specific dietary needs (vegetarian, diabetic etc). If you’re particular about your diet, you’ll need to buy your own food each day (as staff aren’t permitted to use kitchen facilities to prepare their own food).

PLEASE NOTE: Japanese food is high in fish and meat. In the past there have been vegetarian staff who could only eat the side salad (very small) which accompanies the regular menu, and as a result, they began to complain of lack of energy / became sick etc. Please understand that kitchen staff prepare food in bulk, for hundreds of staff dishes every day, so you can’t expect them to go out of their way to prepare something especially for you.

If you have particular dietary needs, please think seriously about whether you’ll mind making a trip to the nearest supermarket / convenience store every day to purchase food (as there won’t be kitchen facilities for you to use). Thank you for your understanding.

Resorts do not provide kitchen facilities for staff, so you will need to accept meals provided by the Resort. Of course, you can always keep snacks / food that doesn’t require cooking in your room, or go out to restaurants anytime you wish.

Any staff who break their contract with the resort, must vacate the staff dormitory within two days of their final day of work. Please be honest about your availability when filling out the Online Application Form. Staff who leave early inconvenience the resort by leaving them short of staff, and may result in future foreign staff not being able to intern there.

Furthermore, in case you quit early, the 50,000yen Processing Fee will no longer be waived, and you’ll also be responsible for getting back to the city yourself, at your own expense. Of course, we’ll assist you with directions / bus/train reservations etc. if you need.

All Interns must have valid Travel Insurance for the entire period of their contract, so in case of an accident, you’re completely covered by your insurance policy for the costs. You’ll also be covered by “rousai” Japanese Work Insurance while on the job.

In case of an accident, you’ll be taken to a local hospital for treatment. Rest assured; we have English-speaking staff contactable 24/7 to assist you anytime.

In the event of an accident which prevents you from performing your job, unfortunately your resort will be forced to dismiss you. For this reason, we can’t stress enough how careful you should be; please be responsible!


After you Finish

Upon successful completion of your Internship, you’ll receive a Certificate to acknowledge your participation. Possession of this certificate will open doors for you in Hotels all over the world.

Yes it is. The skills you will learn will give you a definite edge in the Hotel industry in Japan. However, most Hotels/Resorts we place you in will not be able to offer you full-time work (as they are seasonal, and close half the year), so if you wish to find a full-time job in future, you will need to find it by yourself.

After interning at your Resort, you must go to your local city office and complete a ‘Moving Out’ form.

You will be asked to write the address that you intend to move to. If you don’t have a new address lined up, you can just write the area you will be going to, eg. ‘Tokyo’.

If you are enrolled in the Japanese Health Insurance system, you need to tell the City Office that too.

Failing to get a Moving Certificate will cause you extra paperwork and headaches later, so we recommend making the effort to do it before you leave.

Once you’ve settled in your new location, you need to register your new address at the city office in that area. Be sure to take the Moving Out Certificate you received at your last city office with you.

A Japanese Working Holiday Visa is valid for 12 months for all nationalities except Australians, who can extend their Visa for a further 6 months while they are in Japan (total 18 months).

No, you can only get a Japanese Working Holiday Visa once. If you want to return to Japan to work/live in future though, you can. Many foreigners enter Japan on a 3-month Tourist Visa, then get sponsored by a Japanese company (eg. English language school), which gives them a 1 or 3-year Working Visa.

No, unfortunately we cannot offer Visa sponsorship. A company has to guarantee a job for 12-months continuously in order to provide sponsorship. As Ski and Beach jobs in Japan are only seasonal, this isn’t possible.

How to Apply